January 15, 2011

In Rememberance

My paternal grandma passed away peacefully at 10:40am, Jan. 16th, Singapore time. She had been having good and bad days for a few years now, and was admitted to the hospital early last week because she couldn't breathe. The doctors put her on antibiotics and that helped. They wanted to put her on machines but all her children said no... that they'd want her to be comfortable but not prolong any suffering.

They took her home earlier this week with a feeding tube in her, as she couldn't swallow her food. I called her a few days ago and was fortunate that she was lucid and could hear me talking to her. I'm glad for that opportunity, as it would have been a huge regret had I not been able to do that.

She was a good, strong woman. Only about 4ft.10in. in stature, she had 11 kids and lost 3 of them in infancy. Life was hard back then, but she and my grandpa raised wonderful kids and grandkids.

I was the oldest child of her oldest son. In the chinese culture, sons and grandsons are always seen as the most important. But I was a treasure to her from the day I was born. My mom tells of the story where grandma would carry me around no matter what she was doing... from cooking, to chopping chicken, to cleaning. I was well and truly spoilt.

This is a picture we took of grandma when we were home 3 years ago. That bruised under her eye had been there for years and it never went away.


This was something we were all prepared for. I know she is in a better place. I know she is with the God she loves loved and adores adored. I keep having to change things to the pass tense, and it's killing me...

17 comments :

Andie said...

Oh Joyce *hugs* I'm so sorry for the loss of your grandma! You are in my thoughts

Jennie said...

So sorry to hear that Joyce. She sounded like a lovely, strong woman and I'm so glad you got the chance to talk to her. Keeping you in my thoughts.

Ineke said...

I am very sorry for the loss of your grandma. She sounded like a wonderful woman.

Pauline said...

Dear Joysze, i am so sorry to hear about your lost.
I wish you all the best.

Laurylyan said...

Joyce,

Please my deepest and most sincere condolences...

Many hugs to you

Lesleyanne said...

Sending condolences on your loss.

Kit said...

I'm so, so sorry, J

Wendy said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother, my sincire condolences.
how nice that you did get tot talk to her before her passing.
it must be very difficult at times like these to live far away.
and I do so understand your feelings, how on one side you are happythat she is no longer in pain, but that doesn´t make the hurting any less.
always so, so difficult to loose a loved one.
my thoughts are with you !

Mercury said...

Joyce,please, my deepest and most sincere condolences...Many hugs to you

demeter83 said...

I'm so sorry love, hope that you're okay

ana~stitch said...

Awww, sorry to hear about your dear grandma! She certainly looks like a very sweet and caring person

ArabicaMix said...

Dear Joysze, You have my condolences. The loss of a loved one - it's always a pain.

Stitching Noni said...

Joyce, I'm so sorry to hear that your Grandma has passed away. You will miss her. It is very hard when you are so far away and don't really get the chance to say goodbye properly - I'm glad that you were able to talk to her though.
Take care, our thoughts and prayers are with you at this sad time

Joysze said...

Thank you girls, for all your thoughts and kind words. They mean a lot to me.

Virpi said...

I'm so sorry to hear your loss. Big hug to you.

Jenny said...

Joyce, thank you so much for writing so beautifully about your Grandmother and for sharing your thoughts with you. I am truly sorry to hear about you and your family's loss. Take care and many hugs to you from me!

Lonneke said...

I am so sorry for your loss. She looks like a lovely lady. I am glad you were able to talk to her.
{{hugs}}