May 3, 2011

Taj Mahal Framed and TUSAL

First of all.... I'm glad y'all approve of the white fabbie for the Knotgardens. *giggle* Esther.... LOL!! I'm such an open book, huh? ;)

We finally got Taj Mahal framed. Some of you (Isa :D) have mentioned seeing it on the wall in past pictures, but I haven't said anything since that was still "For placement only." You see, we decided to frame it ourselves this time to save on cost.

So, we went to HomeGoods and found a frame in their picture section which suited Taj to the tee!! I was so happy. However, since it came with normal glass and the mat was a little bit too light for our liking, we ordered a linen mat and gallery glass separately from Michael's. Yesterday, the mat came in, and it was a beauty! Neutral and understated and the linen coating was so gorgeous that I kept touching it. :D

After dinner, I took Taj down from the wall, thinking that it won't take us but 30 minutes tops to put everything back together. Famous last words, right? Cos 2 hours later, we were finally done! I must have told hubby at least 3 times that "THIS is why we should pay the extra money and have the pros do it next time." And he kept nodding and sighing. ROFLMAO!!!!

We had to take the entire thing apart twice... yes..... TWICE!!!! The first time, we thought we were done, got it all hung up, hubby stepped back and said in disbelief "It's CROOKED!!" My head turned around so fast, I'm surprise I don't have whiplash today as a result. ROFL! Well.... what do you know? The darn thing is crooked. Tilted to be more exact... at the top and bottom! (I should've taken a picture!)

After looking at each other... you know how those sad puppy dogs look when they have to do something they don't want to?? That was US!!!!.... we took it back down without a word, and pull the entire thing apart. Hubby figured out why it was crooked, (we has scored only 3 sides of the inset instead of all 4), got that fixed.... measured like crazy.... put everything back on.... measured again... lifted the frame up for a test "look".... "looks good, looks great".... and taped it up.

A huge sigh of relief, cos surely it's done now, right? I held it up for hubby to peruse before it goes up on the wall, and he snorted! Actually LOL'ed snorted(!!!) and I was like, *doom and gloom..... siiiiigh* what now?!! Well.... some piece of black something or other got stuck on the glass and no matter what we did, it wouldn't budge. At one time, hubby even took a Swiffer cloth and rubbed it madly on the carpet (ROFLMAO!!!!!!) to work up some charge to see if the static would move the stubborn little sucker, and NADA!!!

Thus heralded the second "take apart" event. Ok.... granted, I'm exaggerating. We didn't take everything apart.... just the tape on 2 sides, and the D hook had to be taken out.... again! But still!!! Like hubby said, it HAD to be on that side. LOL! So, I stuck my finger in, pulled out the blasted speck, turned a blind eye as to whether or not a fingerprint was left on the glass (LOL!!!!), and taped it back up!




We're extremely pleased with the result. I like how the lighter mat focuses the attention into the design. And if you guys see anything out of the ordinary.... stray hair, crooked mat..... I don't want to know about it!!! ;)

It's TUSAL today..... mine has all sorts of blue fuzzies this month as a result of some frog lovin' with Edmar rayon.

27 comments :

anojaa said...

Well i was just about to mention... just kidding, it's perfect! it looks really wonderful! I don't know if I'd had the same patience as both of you. :)

Elena said...

Joysze, mandala framed perfectly! The difference between the color of mat and the fabric is almost imperceptible.
Congratulations!

valerie said...

Beautiful framing! It took a lot of patience but I think the effort is well worth it!

Lou said...

WOW - Joyce - it was well worth the 2 hours of effort! It looks professional to me, and perfect!

Ewa said...

That is simply GORGEOUS! I pulled the photo up at work and soon had a small crowd of co-workers behind me admiring it. Amazing job with the framing, too. Maybe I'll send over my finished pieces for you to take care of ;)

Joy said...

It looks wonderful!!!!

Jenny said...

Oh wow-oh wow-oh wow! That is just fantastic! I love the frame and the matting! You guys did such a great job on both the picks and the actual assembly. It must have felt great once this baby finally hung on the wall.
I confess - was laughing to myself while reading your post. We have all been there with that spec that seems to materialize as soon as everything has been assembled and sealed. How do they do that!? Another dimension, I bet you anything....

Isadarena said...

Wow Joyce, your framed Taj mahal is absolutely gorgeous and the frame is really perfect to enhance the design: truly a masterpiece !!

Yany said...

I mencioned too!!
It looks absolutely beautiful, you and your hubby have a wonderful artistic eye!!

demeter83 said...

It looks fabulous, but I can't believe it had to be taken apart twice. I can see why you did it though. My other half's parents have a piece that I did for them that I can't look at, because the framing isn't quite right and it really bothers me.

Pauline said...

It is a very beautiful frame, you,ve choosen!
Great how it looks in there...
And i see a lot of threads in your jar, that means you have a lot done this month!!!yeahhhhhhhhhhh:))

Lesleyanne said...

Oh Wow that was worth all the effort. It looks stunning. Everything about it is perfect. Well done to you and your hubby. Lovely orts.

Ineke said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Crystal said...

WOW that looks amazing, you and your DH could go into the framing business.

Andie said...

Oh wow! Taj looks fantastic!!! *hugs* to you and DH for all that framing mess!

ana~stitch said...

Joyce - I love the job you and hubby did! I'm always too afraid to tackle the biggies like this and just leave the whole thing to the pros. Congrats to you both it looks fantastic! :)

Lonneke said...

Wow. Absolutely stunning!
The frame is perfect for it.

Esther said...

LOLLLL what a story! *grinnnn*
It looks absolutely gorgeous!!! Great job!!

mdgtjulie said...

Taj looks great. You really picked the perfect frame for it!!

Mia said...

What could I say - it's just wonderful!!
And I have a question; what does TUSAL stand for? ;) Guess I don't know everything about stitching - lol

Kit said...

As everyone so far has said: WOW!!!!

Love it! And the framing-job looks super-professional - you guys should be proud ^.^

Kit said...

Oh and next year I'm so joining the TUSAL!

wendy111 said...

Joyce, your Taj looks wonderful framed. I can just see you and your husband trying to get it perfect. Congratulations!

mbroider said...

Beautiful framing. Not that i have tried or will ever try framing myself....

Your adventure did excite me too:)

Karen said...

Well, I have to say that it was entirely worth all the trouble, because it is FABULOUS!!!!!!

I was mortified once when I took a piece back to a framer I used to have, to have one little itty bitty hair removed - was it an eyelash? She kept her 2 big dogs in the shop with her, but it looked too fine to belong to them. At any rate, she did it, but I felt bad for asking, since I have a zoo around me, too - and have some "specialty fibers" sewn right into stuff - but who's to say where that hair came from? All's well that ends well - and that piece won the Blue Ribbon at the N. GA Fair that year :)

I will NOT be framing my own Chatelaines - I'll do smaller stuff, but those? I don't have the counter space! That's my story, and I'm sticking to it :) Well done to you & Hubby!

Anne Marieke said...

Wow, that frame is just perfect for Taj! Great going to do it yourself. It is so beautiful!

Rhona said...

It's stunning.....what more can I say?!!!