April 2, 2012

Floored!

A while ago, I mentioned that we were going to do the flooring for our balcony. It's something that we've talked about since Day One. We had yucky textured cement the color of a McD's McNuggets 'paste' (you know what I'm talking about right? If not, clicky on the linky... :S). When we first moved in, we bought clearance rugs from Target that, while serving us really well, were not ideal.

We first saw the idea of wood tiles at IKEA. The look was great, but we couldn't decide on if we'd rather have that or tile. Fast forward some months... did I say months? I meant years!,... and we finally decided that we love the organic look of wood tiles.

I did some googling, and found a company that uses leftover wood from high-end furniture making to make snap-on tiles. It was definitely the 'green' way to go, and as if it wasn't enough, they were a family-owned company, which was a definite plus in my book. :D

BEFORE:

Hubby wanted a flat surface for the entire balcony. So we bought molding
from HomeDepot, drilled into the concrete and attached an 'end piece.'

The wood tiles came with a rubber base with tongue and groove for 'snapping on.'
Because we had a ledge that led out to the balcony,

we had to trim off part of the rubber bottom
so that the wood would sit on the ledge and butt up against the end piece.

The orchid corner.

Our balcony is very long, about 23 feet. This is the 'lounge' side,
with the end piece installed.

Boxes of yummy 'balau' wood. Balau, I read, originated from Malaysia.
Totally cool and a little piece of home. :)

Let the fun begin. Laying the full square tiles took us about two afternoons.
While most of them popped right in, there were some that were quite fiddly,

and it took quite a bit of work to make the rubber feet fit.

Rubber mallets are so ordinary. I thought it'd be nicer to have a towel hammer...

Getting close to the edges where the tiles will have to be cut for them to fit.

 Our 'little tool spot.' 

The orchid corner. Mostly done, except for the edges.

Since we anticipated that cutting the tiles would take some time, we didn't tackle it till over the weekend, when we were both feeling better. Bought a honey of a circular saw that cut through the Balau hardwood like butter... ok, somewhat cold butter... but still. :)


AFTER:

A top view...

The orchid corner...

The lounging area. I'm contemplating getting a double lounger  for this area. ;)

46 comments :

lynda said...

Looks beautiful!

Anne said...

Lee and I are oohing aahing over your little patio heaven!! We want a patio like yours!! I love the new Balau wood!!! And I'm also glad to see you have been too busy to email me :P I wish I could hang out on your gorgeous new porch!! Especially the orchid corner...sigh....

HMBW!!!!!!!!!!!!

jillyヅ said...

Wow!!!!!!!!!! What a balcony and the difference the wood makes. We had a balcony in San Diego with that gross concrete. I laid a green rug out there too help pretty it up, but your wood tiles are gorgeous.

Enjoy!!
blessings, jilly

Ewa said...

It's beautiful! I'm FLOORED by what a great job you guys did (har har har)

katica said...

what a beautiful change to your already lovely balcony sanctuary! I love it and I love the wood tiles! they look fantastic, you both did an awesome job!

carol fun said...

WOW - this is gorgeous! I will keep this idea in my file for future projects. thanks for sharing. Enjoy your wonderful balcony!

Angela said...

I love it, it looks like a wonderful place to sit and stitch, read or enjoy in general :)

Michele said...

Simply gorgeous! I'm so happy you get a lil bit of home too. Congratulations on such a wonderful DIY project.

Tazzy said...

Oh my! That little patio looks gorgeous with that hardwood tiling down. *grins* you're making me want to sand and varnish my covered balcony now.

Yvon (jioya) said...

That's looking like the spot to be when you like to relax!!!

Good job!!!
I hope that you can enjoy it for many years.

Hugs Yvon.

Jenny said...

That is fantastic, Joyce - it looks like a spa! You did such a great job, congrats on a wonderful upgrade!

Stitchesbyme said...

looks great, a perfect place to do some stitching

valerie said...

Wow! The balau wood floor is gorgeous! You guys did a fantastic job! Love it! :)

Sarah said...

Wow what a difference, it just transforms the whole space! It looks so nice and inviting

Ann said...

Oh Joysze,
Those wood tiles really make a difference! Your terrace went from cold to a super warm spot (if you understand what I mean).
A lot of work but sooooo satisfying!
Enjoy!
Ann

Veronica said...

You and Satish did a wonderful job laying those wood tiles. Love the fact that they're from Malaysia ^.^ Your balcony looks awesome.

Hugs,
Veronica.

Diane (di) said...

Oh good gravy. I would never leave that balcony. Ever. Ok, maybe only to sit in front of the fireplace but that's it, I swear. ;)

You both did an amazing job, Joyce. Beautiful, warm, and cozy. BTW, an orchid 'corner'?? I'd be lucky to keep one going. lol
(lovin' the towel hammer, too) :)

Kate said...

Is there no end to your talents Miss Joycze? It looks gorgeous, and worth all the hard work for sure.

Lee said...

WOW that looks great

Mouse said...

ohhhh you didn't have to do that just for me coming to visit hahahahh ... seriously though that looks fab ... well done for taking your time ...it is well worth the effort :)
love mouse xxxxx

Kate said...

Wow that looks fabulous. Absolutely worth waiting for.

Daffycat said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Joyce. If it were mine, I'd be going out to peek at it every few minutes and going, "Squee!"

Kielrain said...

That looks great. It really makes your balcony something fantastic.

Carrie said...

WOW! It's Beautiful!

Susan said...

The floor looks amazing! Great find on the wood tiles, I'd never seen them but can think of a couple of places where they would be perfect in my house (if we could ever get the basement cleaned out!)

tiffstitch said...

That looks amazing! What a difference. It really makes your balcony a place you want to go sit out on and enjoy. Nice colour to the wood as well.

Maggee said...

Gosh--how lovely!! Love the finished room! Bet you do too! Hugs!

Isadarena said...

Hi Joyce, I love how your patio has turned out with this new floor : very very nice !!
I wish you a great week,
Isa

mbroider said...

Wow, looks so very classy!

Karen said...

Wow! Gorgeous!So jealous!

Melissa said...

Fantastic job! Well done. The balcony looks like such a lovely haven, especially the orchid corner. And look at all those orchids - no wonder they are happy!

Lesleyanne said...

Looks gorgeous.

geeky Heather said...

ROTFL at towel hammer!!! The floor looks awesome! I'm in love with your orchid corner. =)

Deb said...

Your balcony looks so lovely and cozy! A perfect retreat for after work!! You and your DH did an excellent job!! Are you for hire?? :D

Andie said...

That is beautiful Joyce! It sure does make a difference!!

Casa Pearl said...

Wow, this is lovely. The colors in the wood are amazing and I love the unique look of the tiles. Congratulations on a job well done! Now to sit back and enjoy all your hard work - and good taste. :-)

Mrs Milkybar Kid said...

What a beautiful space you have there Joyce, seems that your talents are never ending! Thanks for sharing more pics of your gorgeous orchids *swoon*!

♥ Nia said...

Awesome idea!! Looks amazing :D Great work!!!!

Thomasina said...

WOW!! That new wood floor sure changed the appearance of your balcony. Very nice. Way much better. A homey feel to it. I say go for the double lounger also.

Juls said...

Stunning!!!! Absolutely perfect!!!!! I see many afternoons of lounging and stitching!!!!! Enjoy!!!!!

SoCal Debbie said...

Your new balcony looks gorgeous! How wonderful to be able to walk onto the beautiful wood tiles! Great job!

Melissa said...

Wow! The tile looks amazing, and totally changes the feel of the balcony. Great job!!

Karen said...

That is realllyyyy cool! I could sit out there all day! Great job!!!

Elena said...

It is really gorgeous. Nice job.
Looks very relaxing.

Enjoy!!!!!

Stitching Noni said...

Stunning! What a difference the wood makes to your balcony ;0). Well done to both of you!

Lux said...

Looks so good. Can't wait to see it. I love wood floors. Classy.