January 21, 2014

Captcha, How I Hate Thee!!!

Die, CAPTCHA, die!! And let it be a sloooooooow and agonizingly painful death!! Ok, that might be a little too dramatic, lol, but that's all I can think about every time one of those freaking "Please prove you're not a robot" codes pop out as I'm about to post a comment. Thanks for nothing, Google!!

We've all been there right? You've just read through a post, oohed and aahed at the the gorgeous WIPs, taken the time to post an appreciative comment, click on the Publish button, and BOOM!, this happens!



Google has made the very helpful, NOT!!, decision to have this option set automatically to "show code." I think it's pretty safe to say that it annoys most readers. I know it annoys the hell out of me, especially when I have a list of blogs I want to go through and have to stop dead every other time to prove over and over again that I'm not a freaking robot!! C'mon, Google!!! Seriously????!

I like to leave comments, I do. I think that in our busy lives, it takes a lot of effort to carve out some time to write a post and share some thoughts with our blog friends. I in turn, like to show my appreciation by leaving a comment, no matter how short (but not random, like the above comment, LOL!). But I have to say that when I'm hit with that freaking code, more often than not, I want to close the window and move on to the next blog, cos let's face it, if I've allotted two hours for blog reading, having to type those damn phrases will almost double the time I have. And let's not even talk about those times when I'm told that "You've entered the wrong code, please try again." Aaaaaaargh!!!!

Ok... rant over.

To see if Google has screwed you over big time by having this option turned on on your blog, go to your SETTINGS on your blogger home page. Click on POSTS and COMMENTS on the left side bar and please make sure that SHOW WORD VERIFICATION option is set to NO.



I know for a fact that a lot of readers don't bother to leave comments once they see that freaking code. I also know that as bloggers, we love comments. So it becomes a lose-lose situation. :( If you're worried about spam, you can choose to set the Comment Moderation to Always, which gives you the power to approve or deny a comment before it gets posted.

Please spread the word around for a CAPTCHA-free blogosphere experience and feel free to link back to this page. :)

So, please, pretty please, with a cherry on top, turn off your word verification. This will make my life a whole heck of a lot easier and to show my deepest, most heartfelt appreciation...



37 comments :

Ann C. said...

Thanks Joyze for the tutorial ... I turned my robot off!!
Happy Stitching
Ann

Anne said...

Yes, Joyze! I agree whole heartedly. I do stop leaving posts since, when looking at all the wonderful stitchers works, and trying to leave posts and confronted with those that I cannot even read to copy... Just let me say too, that I like to look at everyone's blogs who stitched on ISHW so if I don't post a comment, they wont know how much I enjoy their work!! :)

Stitching Noni said...

I agree! I do so dislike that captura thing! I find it very hard to read them on the ipad and will often not leave a comment if I can't read the words... or if it tells me off for the wrong word!

I must spend some time over the weekend going through all the IHSW blogs... fingers crossed no one thinks I am a robot!!
Hugs x

Debs said...

Thanks for the tutorial Joyze, have turned mine off too. Thanks for your appreciate, was a long hot drive home from work this afternoon so the eyecandy made my afternoon :)

Lonneke said...

Totally agree!

Lynda said...

Thanks Joyze: didn't realize I had this set.
Was wondering why my comments had gone down.

Robin said...

You go girl! So irritating. Some feature someone thought we needed to protect us.

Kate said...

They annoy me too! Especially as sometimes they are so distorted it's practically impossible to decipher them.
I now also have problems commenting on some blogs when using my iPad - I can't even open the comment box on some that I know I've commented on before using my iPad - frustrating.com

Caitlin Jordan said...

I know what you mean! I look at posts on my phone or tablet and capcha is almost impossible to do properly so I will usually just skip past without posting on those blogs as much as I want to. Thank you for the reminder to everyone

Cricket-bug Corner said...

Oh, I was an offender - but no longer! Now I expect comments from you! j/k I hate them too - the number ones are not so bad but you can't read the "word" ones!

Claudette497 said...

Sing it, sister! I usually power through the first one, but the next blog that asks? Forget it!

Pull the other thread said...

I have now switched mine off as well. However I would like to explain why I had it on in the first place. I did try turning it off once and the first comment I had to moderate was a spam comment that was so offensive and disgusting I almost threw up. To save myself from having to read about how horrific people can be sometimes I switched it back on. However I can absolutely see your point and hate that thing myself. As I want my blog to be a pleasant place to visit I have now removed it for good!

Thea Wilson said...

I could have sworn I had turned mine off already (I hate Captcha too so I turned mine off for that reason, or I thought I had) but when I went to check I found that it was back on...... huh? How did that happen? Turned it off AGAIN, hope it stays off this time!

Katie said...

The other huge one that annoys me is no reply bloggers. If you comment on my blog I want to say Thank you back. Sometimes they even ask questions and then you can't reply. Grr. Thanks for helping make this one stop a few at least.

Lesleyanne said...

Thanks for the tutorial I will go and have a look at mine as I am not sure.

Keebles said...

Absolutely hate word verification too! Half the time I can't figure out what the stupid letters even are! Turning off "anyone can post" solved my spam problem, but does restrict comments to registered users only...but it's still a better option. Most of my visitors are other bloggers anyway.

Linda said...

Oh how agree Joyce. I will try 3 times with that stupid word than just cancel.

Linda

Minnie said...

I agree, there's got to be a better way.

CraftyPretender said...

well, I was reading your post, and then I scrolled down.. and I forgot all about what you wrote....

geeky Heather said...

ROTFLOL...I assume that as part of your heartfelt appreciation, these men are going to show up over here to help me move some random heavy things around, yes? Good thing none of them are blonde, so totally not my type...LOL!!!!

And thank you for the PSA...blogger's spam filter does such a good job, there's no reason to have "craptcha" turned on.

Lesley said...

Capcha is very frustrating,I agree,good post Joyce:-)

Thoeria said...

Oh I know the frustration....especially as my eyes are bad enough to start.....and I normally have to squint at the screen with my head at all angles....in order to see what's hidden in the squiggly stuff!!
Thanks for the eye candy !

Aubs Ogrady said...

I hate how the words are like
"Apple and the square root of pi times one million and 3 written in French with 'I' as '1' and 'E' as '3'." Though if you do that then it says that is incorrect.Or it could just be unrecognizable symbols :(

On a bright side, Those guys have abs

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Totally agree with this post, but Comment Moderation is a pain in the butt too and it doesn't stop the spam. The best way is to remove the option to post as Anonymous.

Who needs to be Anonymous on a Stitching blog anyway?

SoCal Debbie said...

Thank you for the reminder to everyone to check their blog settings! This is such a PAIN!!!

Nancy Peterson said...

I didn't know you could turn it off, THANK YOU!!!!!! I don't mind the numbers as much as the words, at least they are fairly legible, but YAY I can make it all go away.

Carla Eldridge said...

I did have that dang thing turned off and I went there to check and it was ON!!!!Now it is off. >:-<

Thank you for the eye candy :D

Mouse said...

well at least the number version is a wee bit easier ...lol
but I do agree with you ... thanks for the eye candy too .... lol love mouse xxxxx
ps don't think I have it on do I ???

Thea Wilson said...

Hey! Am I still showing as a no-reply comment? I think I fixed it, can you confirm, pretty please??? xx

Kaisievic said...

Oh yea, I hate captcha too!

♥ Nia said...

Hahahaha I love how you started your post! Oh my! I've been there so many times ;) hehehe

Anne said...

I love reading these kids of posts from you Joyce...especially when you add some eye candy :D Captcha is the most irritating thing on the planet. Now I've been encountering a 9 digit number to type in?!?!!

Angela P said...

I hate it so much that I have even gone so far as removing a blog from my reading list that still has this annoying feature turned on. It's a waste of everyone's time. Thanks for this post, I've done one similar in the past :)

Giovanna said...

Thank you for writing this - I wish it would just go away, it's such a waste of scarce and precious blog-reading time...

The Maiden said...

I completely agree with you, have you ever heard a blogger complain about all the spam comments from robots? No! Thanks for the man candy, I cannot believe I am so behind on your posts!

Purrfect Lady said...

I didn't know mine was on! Thanks for the heads up .. it is GONE! Oh .. and ty for the eye candy ;)

Novia said...

I need to send John back to the gym. While he was busy to get those six packs, I'll comfort myself with the first eye candy ROFL.