New Start - Fire by Maria J. William

For all my mention of stitching Fire in my SAL with EeKoon and Novia, I realized that I have yet to post a picture of this fabulous piece if art by Maria J. William. It is part of her Five Elements series which consists of the chinese elements Fire, Wood, Metal, Water, and Earth.

The three of us have been planning this start for at least two years and 2011 is the magic number! I will be stitching Fire, EeKoon will be stitching Metal, and Novia will be stitching Wood.

Fire (top left), Metal (top right), Wood (bottom center)

So, as promised, I prepped everything up and started Fire on New Year's. I'm stitching her on 28ct lugana and OMG the white on white stitching is hell on earth!!! I've done two colors so far and while the second color may look like a light gray blue on the bobbin, it's alllllll white on the fabric. I have to say that I do enjoy watching those tiny little X's take shape. They bring my such pleasure, but I find it hard to stitch on her for a long period of time as my eyes get really tired.


These were charted by Stab and Stash, who are not in business anymore, and while I have complete faith in their charting, the symbols are atrocious to read! I'm only working on the background and it's tough, I can only imagine what will happen when I get to the parts with more design elements. So, if you hear in the news about a S. Floridian stitcher gone amok, you'll know it's me. LOL!

Comments

Pauline said…
Sounds if its not only pleasure to stitch this...but i am sure you can do it!
ana~stitch said…
SUCH a beautiful pic though!!
Wendy said…
These a really nice cross stitch projects. It's a good idea to stitch together, so you can support each other and share experiences.
Jennie said…
Oh wow, great progress! I can see why that would be hard going though. Those designs are so gorgeous though, I'm sad I can't get them, lol!
Mercury said…
The great project! I wish you to finish it and to enjoy! I with pleasure shall observe for yours successes
Esther said…
OMG! You did 2 colours?? Where are they????
And you want to finish 6 pages of this beauty by Feb. 15th???? I think I couldn't finish it at Dec. 15th.....
But it wil be gorgeous!!
Joysze said…
Esther ROFL.... right???? You can't hardly see the stitches even with a magnifying glass!!! Also, I've had a change of heart. It's now 3 pages by Feb. 15th. HAHAHA!
Blu said…
That's some gorgeous artwork! But which one is Fire?
Stitching Noni said…
Great design to work on... I don't think I could cope too long with the white on white either! Good luck - can't wait to see further pics of your progress
Bec said…
Hi :)

Thanks for following my blog!

Ugh! stitching white on white is painful on the eyes! lol

It will look amazing once it is done though.

Keep up the good work :)

Happy Stitching
Bec
Joysze said…
Blu, Fire is the one on the top left.
Lesleyanne said…
Great new start. I sympathise with the white on white.
Lonneke said…
I LOVE those designs!
Hang in there with the white on white!
Laurylyan said…
I feel your pain when you're talking about stitching white on white and even more so as it seems you're doing it 1 over 1...

Before you've gone too far into your stitching why not stop and chose another fabric with a color slightly and lightly different from any of the threads used in your chart. like a light pink, a light blue or a light green. That way you can see the contrast between your threads and your fabric, you see it grow and, as you're stitching it completely (even the background) you'll have perfect coverage by stitching it 1 over 1.

That's what I'm doing with my "Fairy Sister's" by Julie Fain (HAED) and I have to say it's wonderful.
Joysze said…
Laurylyan, that's a great idea and I'll definitely be doing that if I stitch another B&W chart. Right now, I'm more than 1500 stitches in, and it would pain me immensely to redo all that stitching. LOL!

Later this year, I'm planning on stitching Panthera Leo (HAED) and have been toying with the idea of stitching that on a gray hand-dye to make the image pop... but then again, I'm quite in love with stitching it as a pencil sketch.
Virpi said…
Looks really challenging but the end result is breath taking!

Popular Posts