Terrace Arch and Orchids

I apologize in advance as this post is going to be picture heavy, but I had to share these beautiful orchids with you guys. More of that later....

First, here is the latest on Terrace Arch. All the houses are done, and I have only the mountains, backstitching, and french knots left. Fingers crossed that this will be done by next weekend, but we're planning a couple of days trips, so we shall see.



We went to an Orchid Show in Boca Raton yesterday. Admissions was only $5 per person and you walk in to see table upon table of the most exquisite orchid displays. It's Cattleya blooming season, so these beauties were prominently featured, flanked by other as equally beautiful orchid species. I will let the following pictures speak for themselves.













And of course, we had to buy some orchids. ;) My mom and dad bought me 2 of the most glorious phaelonopsis. I've been looking for the perfect white phal for about 2 years now. I wanted something that had a double spike, with big happy blooms, and strong healthy leaves and roots, AND WE FINALLY FOUND IT!!! with baby spikes coming out of the 2 main ones! I'm ecstatic!!! (The pictures aren't great... I'll take some better ones later.)




I've also been wanting a yellow orchid to go against the red screen that hubby built in our balcony, and TA-DAH!!! This baby has at least 80 blooms and counting. There are spikes coming out everywhere and it's going to be glorious in full bloom. :D




I bought this oncidium from a Hawaiian grower. I've never seen anything like it before. It's got small, petite blooms and the leaves resemble a tall grass land. I hope it's a happy bloomer. :D




My dad is a happy camper this visit, as he spends hours and hours with the orchids, moving them around, looking at them, moving them around some more, repotting them, just like what I do when they're not here. LOL!!!! I sneaked a picture of him making some hooks. :)

Comments

Ineke said…
Thank you for sharing these beautiful orchids!
Lesleyanne said…
Stunning Orchids and stitching. Thank you for sharing.
Your stitching is very pretty. Thanks for sharing the pics of the flowers, can't wait for spring to get here.
wendy111 said…
The orchids are beautiful, thanks for sharing them with us and enjoy the ones that came home with you.
Wendy said…
Beautiful flowers. Your cross stitch project is beautiful too!
Natalija said…
Wonderful flowers, amazing colors. And I love your current work in progress.
Greetings from Italy,
Natalija
Esther said…
Wowwwwwwwwwww beautifull orchids!!
I love them!!!!
Crystal said…
WOW awesome stitching, your almost finished. The orchids are beautiful, thank you for sharing them.
demeter83 said…
The arch is looking gorgeous, can't wait to see it finished, and the orchids are beautiful, such lovely plants!
Mercury said…
Thank you for sharing these beautiful orchids!
Nina said…
The flowers are stunning!
Sexy Fairy said…
Wow!!! Love the pictures!! Have a nice trip and I'll be waiting for your stitching and picture's update ;-)
Isadarena said…
Wow !! Joyce, your Terrace is getting more and more beautiful, I am sure your Aunt must be so happy in advance : doesn't she watch over you ??
Rho !!!! every orchid is so wonderful and I understand why your Dear Father is looking around them : thanks so much for sharing with us all these fantastic photos :-))
Have a nice Valentine's day,
Isa
Stitching Noni said…
Hi Joyce, wow what stunning orchids! It must have been amazing to see such beautiful plants! Love the ones that you bought. Thank you for showing off these beautiful plants...

The Terrace is looking fantastic. Well done :-)

http://firefliescatsinthegarden.blogspot.com/
Jenny said…
Wow, oh wow! First off, your progress on the terrace is great! It looks very pretty and I can't wait to see your finish pic. Second, the orcids are simply gorgeous! Now I'm inspired to go on-line and do a little research so that I take better care of mine. It is budding, but I may have under-watered it, since it looks like the bud is not feeling to great. Instead of being shiny, it is now wrinkly and droopy. Have to do some research!
My favorite from the show is the Lace wing - it is just too cute! and I would not mind sipping on a coffee on your balcony! You have orcids and you have PALM TREES!!!! Wow, I would love that!
Thanks a bunch for sharing all the pictures with us! Spring is around the corner, right!? ;-)
Bec said…
Oh woooooow!! Gorgeous Orchids!! :D
Thanks for sharing.

Great progress on the Terrace Arch. It look amazing! :)
Yvon (jioya) said…
I think my Dad would love to be on your balcony, he love's orchids and has some at home.

Hugs Yvon.

Popular Posts